Two Worlds, One Mac(hine)

8 February 2008 18:52

A few days into with the MacBook Pro. I think I've gotten over the initial euphoria and ready to get it worked on over the festive holidays. First order of the day, I cranked up its memory to 3GB. Two words with five syllables: VMWare Fusion. This little baby lets me run Windows (or any other x86 or x64 based operating system for that matter) within Mac OS X as a virtual machine. Admittedly, there are still a couple of things I need that only exist in Windows and not available on Mac OS X. So having the ability to drop into Windows quickly to do whatever that's needed instead of booting up the nearest PC is a real time saver (more so when you're on the go). As far as I can tell, Windows is actually running FASTER in VM than on my 2 year old PC! Coolest feature? Unity mode! It's like having Mac OS X and Windows applications together on the SAME SCREEN (can someone say identity crisis?). Check out the screenshot below:

And when I'm all done using Windows, I can just discard whatever state it's in and have it reset to its last clean state, which is great in case I muck up Windows with viruses/spyware or any misconfiguration whatnots, all without having to re-install Windows.

I love the irony of the whole thing though: That it takes Mac OS X (with a little help from VMWare) to make Windows usable and stable for my own use once again.

spoonfork
spoonfork
2/9/2008 11:28:01 PM #

Your Macbook Pro should be able to support up to 4GB of RAM

2/10/2008 12:24:36 AM #

not really. it can only go 3gb max as it's not of the latest greatest santa rosa based macbook pro.

Lizzam
Lizzam
2/10/2008 2:52:00 AM #

drool...*lap keyboard*
drool again...*lap keybooard*

spoonfork
spoonfork
2/10/2008 3:49:42 PM #

Ah ok. in that case, if you pop in 4GB, you'll be using up to 3.3GB. Have you used up to 3GB of RAM yet?

2/10/2008 10:05:51 PM #

since the upgrade, no. but i used to hit 2GB pretty easily when i have ableton live and propellerhead reason running with safari on the side or set XP to use 512MB (lotsa page outs going on). now i have something like 256-512MB of headroom left which is just nice i suppose.

Rudy
Rudy
2/12/2008 6:14:29 PM #

sweet...have tested ubuntu on the same machine :D sweet-er

Twitter July 21, 04:02
Old stomping ground http://t.co/0qYZPS3OCd

Twitter July 17, 09:41
I pray that we are given strength to face and deal with this tragic episode. Leave speculation, blame, politicking, etc. out of it. #MH17

Twitter July 17, 07:41
Take vacations. You can always make money, but you can't always make memories. http://t.co/Eh4UHCE6pT

Twitter July 17, 07:31
Nobody sees your tweets. http://t.co/xmEu6ILLgY

Twitter July 15, 16:14
Now with #CDM25 making the news, some people have more reason not to make a woman the Mentri Besar due to PMS.

Twitter July 14, 22:41
In anything you do in life, shit's gonna happen. But it's your choice to walk away from it with your pants half full or half empty of it.