Muhibbah Is Not A One Way Street

2 April 2004 08:46

I once (in my ignorance) asked my late grandfather if he was ever bothered by the "commotion" coming from the Chinese temple in the kampung whenever there were those festivities or occassions going on. What he said in return was something that's hard for me to forget, "If they (the Chinese folks) can put up with the azan (call of prayers) from the mosque every dawn, why can't we do the same for them just once in a while?"

That conversation was over a decade ago. The mentality and tolerance of simple kampung people even as far back as the 50s and 60s are so much better than some of those who are reputedly 'better educated and learned' living in towns and cities these days it seems. Sad isn't it?

Update (April 2): This entry got picked up bySuaraMalaysia.

Bartholomew
Bartholomew
4/2/2004 11:27:39 AM #

Iwan - glad you brought this up.  The same commotion happened at my apartment block... yes my apartment block in the cosmopolitan heart of Kuala Lumpur.  A guy, who looks fit enough to be a muslim cleric in Semarang approached my 3 times to get me to sign off a petition to tear down a Chinese temple that to him, "has been creating noise and disturbs his nap on a lazy Sunday afternoon".  All because the temple hold rehearsals for their dragon dance troupe.  The drums can barely be heard, it only lasted less than 2 hours a week and the temple was erected much earlier than the apartment block itself!!!  ... Now tell me, does this justify for anyone, whether you are a cleric or a PR practitioner working in an IT  multinational (ehem!) to sign-off a petition to tear down the temple?

I totally agree that the tolerance level among races was much higher when my moma and popa sharing their lontong with Ah Kau's wan ton and Kumari's rasam.

Oh well.

YBLalat
YBLalat
4/2/2004 8:18:37 PM #

Hey!

Your grandDad plagiarized what my grandDad once said to me!

This is an outrage!

I demand satisfaction!

4/2/2004 9:26:29 PM #

a lot of the older folks would've said that, not just my grandpa. on the other hand, perhaps we're long lost relatives? (egaddd!)

AnaSalwa
AnaSalwa
4/3/2004 9:51:16 PM #

You're right, it's two-way-street action. Some of us ecpext our Chinese and Indians folks to respect our culture and our way of lives, and yet we are too cocky to make an effort to learn and respect them.

platypus
platypus
4/9/2004 6:55:41 AM #

Short but nicely put dude ...

lyn
lyn
4/11/2004 8:45:37 PM #

so true...it's always a two-way thing.sadly,very few embrace that...