Sheila On 7 Censored For Crooning 'Celaka'

3 April 2002 13:15

The powers that be who holds the all powerful proverbial media scissors in this country has done it again. This time, Indonesian group Sheila On 7, whose songs such as "Sephia" are popular among Malaysians, is the victim. I'm not actually too surprised at the outcome, knowing how naive and narrow minded some people who have the authority over these things can be. Apparently, S07 fault lies in the chorus of the song "Seberapa Pantas" taken off their latest album. The word "celaka" was used liberally throughout and it costed them not being able to do the simultaneous release of the single both in Indonesia and Malaysia as well as having to re-record the song with the word replaced with "Sayangnya" to please the censors here. Obviously, our censors take the word in the literal sense in Bahasa Melayu without even considering or even bothering to look up what it actually means in Bahasa Indonesia. Freedom of expression through the arts in this country? Not likely if things like this were to continue. Move on with the times, for crying out loud! We can't be producing P. Ramlee kinda songs and movies all the time, must we? And they're surprised at how stagnant our movie industry is. Sheesh! Fairy has a very good write up on the issue.

Listening to: Adema - The Way You Like It

Fairy
Fairy
4/16/2002 12:43:57 PM #

Hi Redzuan! Thanks for mentioning about the Celaka article :D Well said lah about our entertainment industry, we are like soooo rigid you know? I thought art was supposed to be all flowy and liberal. We're not going to get anywhere with all these 'old' people still around, ya know what I'm sayin'...

Twitter November 16, 05:00
I walked into an elevator to find this scared little Happy Meal cowering in the corner. There ought to be a law aga… https://t.co/0tG35QrhWs

Twitter October 30, 03:31
Or as they say it in Hokkien, “Wa si lin lao peh!” Son: Snore... https://t.co/Y1pBRWwh8p

Twitter October 28, 06:18
6 years ago, I made a friend. A year ago, I made her my wife. 3 weeks ago, I made her a mother. Happy Syad and Redzuan Day!

Twitter October 25, 17:03
Rizqi Redzuan. He's 3 weeks old now. He's the boss of me these days. He's still incapable of feeding himself and co… https://t.co/0MjgTtv7uc

Twitter October 2, 13:11
Alhamdulillah, praise be to Allah that my wife, Syad Rosli, successfully gave birth to a healthy baby boy on Oct 3rd, 2017 at 12:02am!

Twitter September 12, 02:25
Man: Hard or soft? Woman: Hard. M: Wet and sloppy style? W: Yes, please! M: Here's your taco with guacamole and salsa, ma'am. Enjoy! :)